“Rockford Film a hit at Sundance” – 2018, “Minding the Gap”

Source: Rockford Register Star 1/22/2018.  Article and photos by Adam Poulisse

 

 

Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden – 1988, “Land donor’s objections challenged”

Source:  Rockford Register Star – July 14, 1988

“Clock Tower hotel to close” – Nov 2016

clock-tower-1

Source: Rockford Register Star 11-19-2016

clock-tower-2

clock-tower-3

Main St., North, 1501

1501 N. Main St.

Source: Rockford Register Star 9/2/2011

West Side Cemetery (Greenwood)

Source: 1914 Rockford City Directory

1501 N. Main St.

Source: http://maps.google.com/streetview 2010

Jesse A. Barloga – 5873 Nebeshone

Nebeshone

5873 Nebeshone, Architect:  Jesse A. Barloga, Commissioned by Malcolm T. McFadyen, president at Holland Ferguson Abstract Co., photo by Marty Mangas ca.1968 – 1970.  Mrs. McFadyen’s obituary states that the house was built in 1926.

Malcolm McFadyen retired from Holland, Ferguson Abstract Co. after 50 years in 1948 and died in 1967.  He was born in Scotland and was president of the Rockford Burns Club for more than 40 years.

Mrs. McFadyen was employed in the Winnebago County Courthouse offices. She lived to be 103. Her obituary says that it was “a cornfield and pasture” before the house was built. She was active in the Unitarian Church’s women’s groups.   She died in 1975 at Swedish-American Hospital.

Thomas K. and Kathryn M. Radant are or were the current residents from 1987 – 2014; perhaps longer on the end date listed.  Prior to 1987 the house was owned by Thomas and Joan Hopp. Mr. Hopp was an Eastern Airlines Capt. and was a graduate of East High School.

510 Indian Terrace

510 Indian Terrace

1947 article about historic home, 100 years after it was built by Goodyear Asa Sanford in 1847

Owners, Ralph and Mary Louise Hinchcliff have restored it

Has ornamental stonework which fell from Winnebago County Courthouse in 1877 which came from the home of Ralph Emerson, Mr. Hinchcliff’s grandfather

The stained glass windows also came from Mr. Emerson’s home on Church Street

In conservatory, there is a frieze of lobsters and frogs from the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair (World’s Columbian Exposition)

The home has stained glass windows from the Second Congregational Church that burned down, and also ones from the former Christian Union Church at North Main and Mulberry streets

There is a “Sambo” hitching post from the Christian Union Church

Contains photo of Mr. and Mrs. Hinchcliff at the main entrance

Contains photo of Mr. Hinchcliff by ornamental stonework with Indian Mound in foreground

Contains photo of south side of house with restored cupola and ornamental ironwork

Contains photo of college student in conservatory in front of wall of ivy in Hinchcliff home

Contains photo of two college students before fire in home’s country kitchen

(The article was published in 1947; the historic home was demolished in 1951 and an apartment building for the elderly was erected on the site in 1968)

 

Source:  Rockford Morning Star, 06/08/1947