Main St., North, 820

King, P.J., seed grower, res. 820 N. Main, W.R.

Source: 1876 Rockford City Directory

P.J. King, emp. George S. Haskell, res

Source: 1880 Rockford City Directory

Ellis, E F, horse dealer, res 820 N Main

Source: 1889 – 1900 City Directory

Arthur W Robertson, wife Elizabeth M., asst cashier Winnebago Nat Bank, res 820 N Main

Source: 1909 Rockford City Directory

Main St., North, 914

Euhl, Miss Dora A., domestic, 914 N. Main

Starr, H.N., clk. Winnebago National Bank, res. 914 N. Main

Source: 1899 Rockford City Directory

first house of Chandler and Blanche Starr 187_

Source: Rockfordiana-Historic Houses and Landmarks-2 & Nuggets N-D 1969

Starr (s) lived there 1874 – 1906. In 1906 they moved to 405 Summer St. at No. Church, now parking lot

Source: Nuggets N-D 1969

Winnebago National Bank

corner S. Main and Elm Sts. Succeeded to the banking business of Robertson and Starr, capital of this bank is $100,000. Thomas D. Robertson is President, M. Starr, cashier. Board of Directors: John Lake, Moses Bartlett, A.D. Forbes, W.A. Knowlton, Wm. A. Talcott, S.M. Church, more

Source: 1872-1873 Rockford City Directory

124 S. Main

Source: 1915 Rockford City Directory

 

Main St., South, 124

 

Talcott, Frank E., res. over 124 S. Main

Talcott, rooms 12, Winnebago National Bank

Source: 1880 Rockford City Directory

Dun, R.G. & Co, Mercantile Agency, Edward J. Hollister, mgr., 124 S. Main

Jarvis, Wm. J., butcher J.B. Fay, res. over 124 S. Main

Rossiter, Mrs. Ella, widow of Frederick, res. over 124 S. Main

Mercantile Agency, R.G. Dun & Co., Office 124 S. Main

Michaels, P.L., (Swinyer and Michaels) rooms 124 S. Main

Swinyer and Michaels, rubber stamp makers, 124 S Main

Source: 1889-1890 Rockford City Directory

Winnebago National Bank

Source: 1889-1890 & 1905 & 1908 & 1911 & 1916 Rockford City Directory

Peoples System of Bakeries, Dr. R. S. Grant, Eastward and Stockburger

Source: 1921 Rockford City Directory

Eastwood and Halsted subdivision; Banker’s Life Co. of Des Moines, Industrial Building and Loan Association, H.H. Hillerich, hardwood lumber; Chester Prather, real estate, T.O. Prather, lawyer

Source: 1926 Rockford City Directory

Eastwood & Halsted  [no other names listed]

Source: 1930 Rockford City Directory

E & W Clothing House

Source: 1937 City Directory

 

Main St., South and Elm St

Main & Elm Street

Source: above picture, Nuggets of History, Autumn 1982

Holland House Hotel

Source:   1874- 1875, 1876 City Directories

Main & Elm Street Main & Elm Street

Chick House, D.J. Stewart’s
Source: 1902 Rockford, Illinois (small 5 x 7″ booklet) Some Half-Tones of the Forest City from Fotografs by O. H. Wheat

 

 

 

Main St., No., 901

Robertson, T D house

This house, located at 901 No. Main St., was built before the Civil War. It was constructed at a cost of $40,000 and it’s builder was Allen Gibson.  Today it would be located in roughly the middle of the Whitman St. bridge.

It passed on from the Gibson family to the Thomas D. Robertson family. Mr. Robertson was the president of Winnebago National Bank, and the resident at the time this picture was taken in 1886-7.

From 1911 until 1921-22, Mrs. D. J. Stewart owned the home and then it was inhabited by  the Bassetts. In 1926 it was vacant. According to the newspaper, it was purchased by Howard D. Colman, who bought it from the heirs of the late D. J. Stewart.  It was razed in 1927, presumably to build a home with more modern heating, electricity and plumbing.

History of the house from city directories and from the Rockford Morning Star 3/12/1927.

Picture of the home from “Picturesque and Descriptive History of the City of Rockford,” by Fred C. Pierce, 1887.