Source: Rockford Weekly Register-Gazette Mar. 19, 1870
“The Rockford Seminary is collegiate in character, and bears the title on account of the popularity of that title forty year ago when the Seminary was founded. The location of the Seminary on high ground in East Rockford, commanding a full view of the pretty Forest City and the shining waters of the romantic Rock River , are such as to commend it as a health resort. The seminary is not a denominational school, yet it is strictly a Christian school. Its buildings, as will be seen by engravings in another part of this book, are extensive brick buildings, in the midst of a grove of oak and hickory trees, covering in all ten acres in extent. The Seminary is very popular , and numbers among its pupils each year students from all over the United States. One of the features which has done much to build up the popularity of the school with parents is the fact that the health of the pupils is carefully looked after. This is done by a comprehensive system of training in the gymnasium , run under the Sargent rules now in vogue in Harvard University.”
“Board of Trustees: Professor Joseph Emerson, D.D., Preseident, Beloit Wisconsin; G.A. Sanford, Esq., Vice-President, Rockford; Thomas D. Robertson, Esq. Treasurer, Rockford, William A. Talcott, Esq., Secretary, Rockford.”
“Executive Committee—Hon. Wm. Lathrop, Chairman, Sarah F. Anderson, Secretary, Wm. A. Talcott, Esq., Mrs. Seely Perry, John Barnes, Esq., Henry H. Robinson, Esq.”
Source of picture and text: “Industrial and Picturesque Rockford, ” by Eugene Browne and F. Ford Rowe, 1891.
DeCamp, J.F. machine shop
Source: 1880 City Directory
Peter Mamalio in street listing, Peter Mamalis in names. Shoe Shiner this address res 223 S Main St.
Source: 1916 City Directory
United Benefit Life Insurance Co. R 211
Source: 1940 City Directory
Gust Damikas, Gould Bros
Source: 1911 City Directory
Fisher Co. Felt & Terrant Mfg Co, General Engineering Co, Dr J P Gordon, Dr C E Hanstrom, Heuer Teachers Agency, Horner & Horton, Illinois Life Insurance, Illinois Painting Co., Industrial Traffic Bureau, Jensen Roofing Co., Kardex Rand Sales, F O T Lindstrom, Marinello Shop, Dr J C Martin, Modern Woodman of America, Moffat Cigar Co., Monroe Calculating Machine Co, National Surety Co., Nelson Insurance Agency, Penrod Walnut & Veneer Co.,Pierson- Hallowell Co wholesale lumber, Prudential Life Insurance Co., Pure Silk Hosiery Mills, Research Laboratory, Rockford Viavi Co., J A Rourke real estate and contractor, A E Rutledge, O H Schubert, The Show card Service, N D Taylor, Travellers Insurance Co., Dr O W Tulisio, Kines Co., W T Van Der Meer, Western Adjustment & Inspection Co., Western and Southern Life Insurance Co., Delphine Willson, Wisconsin National Life Insurance, Mosaic Co., Wunderlich’s (E P Wunderlich)
Source: 1926 City Directory
Source: 1933 City Directory
Cutler Building: Dr Bernard Bolotoff, phys; Dr. Harry A. Karceski, dentist; Dr. Nordahl O Gunderson, phys; Dr. Wm E Sumner, chiropractor; Frank I Johnson, furniture design; Roy Hayes and Associates, engineers, The Francis Engineering Co engineers; Kalos Shop beauty shop; Brinks Inc. Express; Rockford Rectal and Rupture Clinic, National Discount Corp. finance; Rockford Rubber Stamp Works; George Ritenour office supplies; State Dept. of Public Welfare; Alex J Victor lawyer; Rexair Sales and Service air conditioning; Osborn Institute of Corrective Massage; Sloggett and Sloggett healers; U S Veterans Administration.
Source: 1947 City Directory
Cutler Building: Hanley Furniture Co. sales rooms, Real Silk Hosiery, Dr. Algernon Waddington, phys. National Discount Co., Rockford Rubber Stamp Works, State Dept. of Public Welfare, Osborn Institute of Corrective Massage, U S Selective Service System, Dr. Bernard Bolotoff; Charles E Boettcher architect; American Mutual Life Insurance Co., Wm. Lathrop, atty.; Victor, Ghent and Peterson lwyrs., Collis M Hennelly lwyr.; Rockford Textile Mills office space, Harry “Bud” Green jr. real estate; Dr. Carroll W Rice, phys; American Cancer Society, Empire Beauty Shop.
Source: 1954 City Directory